Resisting 11.11 Sale

Source: AliExpress

As much as I try to spend only on things I need, sometimes you just got to give in to some of the wants.

I always manage to restraint myself when it comes to brick and mortar stores that advertise huge discounts, because its easy, you just walk right past them and don't look back. However, when it comes to the context of online shopping, you get emails on offers and discounts, even if you turn away and delete them, a new one comes in.

That was the case for this week's 11.11 event. In the span of 24-hours on 11Nov17, I've received at least 3 mailers from each online store. Multiply that by a few online store, and.. well, you get my drift..

When you receive that amount of mailers about discounts and offers, no matter how rational you think you are, it gets thrown out the window - or maybe my resolve is not strong enough, kudos to you guys who can resist the temptation.

After all, these online shops pay a lot for marketing, and if it doesn't pull the crowd in, then something is really wrong.

I am only human after all, and it is natural to be drawn to such temptations. The challenge then lies with whether or not you can control the amount you spend. It took me 3 times the amount of time to thin my cart down to only three basic items, compared to how quickly I filled my cart with all the things I wanted to buy.

Even after checking out with those 3 items, I still felt that I had spent too much. Maybe this episode would strengthen my resolve for the upcoming future sales - Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Free Shipping Day, Christmas. All these sales that the consumer industry has come up with as marketing strategy.

What about you? Did you succumb to temptation as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Above Water.. Finally

Shortly after my post slightly more than 2 years ago, my portfolio sunk with the market crash.. With the crash, I consolidated my positions ...